New Habits

For the last couple days, I've found myself starting a new trend.  When I get home from work, I change out of my business attire and immediately put away yesterday's dishes, wash any new dishes, and clean out both cat boxes.  It's "amazing" to her, but I can't see what is incredible about doing a daily task.

I know too well that as soon as I sit down on the couch; I'm leaving all responsibility behind.  I don't want to be sitting there, watching the judging eyes of the digital clock, constantly chastising me for idleness.  I don't want to be lazily admitting "Just one more episode of Friends" before it's far too late for me to lift a finger.  Plus, I want to live in the "now."

If I have a task to do, I want to get up and do it.  I'm a grown-up and I get to set my own priorities, and I want to have the integrity to see them through.  If I'm going to do the dishes every day, then I am going to do them.  It's an oddly empowering feeling.  Some might view it condescendingly or consider it a punishment, but there is a real sense of purpose when I come home, finish my tasks, and busy myself with entertaining, extracurricular activities.  The positive sensation is what encourages me to keep with it.  And while it's too early to tell if I'll continue these jobs in such a timely fashion, I can't but help appreciate their regular completion for the time being.

Besides, if it makes her happy, it can't be that bad.

0 comments:

Post a Comment